This was the first vegan meal I made for the whole family. We thought it would be better to try out the veggie “meat” crumbles in a dish where it wasn’t so prominent. I was worried about the texture being a problem.
It turns out it wasn’t an issue at all. It had great taste and nothing funny about it. I actually put too much meat in the recipe, but I’ve altered it below.
Prepare this in a 6 quart crockpot or make it on the stove if you’re short on time.
VEGAN TACO SOUP
- 1-2 lbs. veggie “beef” crumbles
- 1 large onion, chopped (optional)
- 2–10 oz. can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1–16 oz. can ranch-style beans
- 2–16 oz. can whole kernel corn
- 1–16 oz. can kidney beans
- 2–16 oz. can black beans
- 1–16 oz. jar picante sauce-you decide how spicy you want
- Microwave and crumble the “beef”
- You can brown the onions with the meat crumbles on the stove if you wish.
- Pour all the remaining ingredients into a 6 qt. slow cooker-DO NOT DRAIN THE LIQUIDS! Pour them into the crockpot.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Garnish your serving with vegan sour cream and shredded cheese and enjoy with corn or tortilla chips.
It’s a great soup–no matter how you fix it!
How the Crew Liked It:
I was pleasantly surprised at how well my kids liked this dish. My youngest son asked for seconds and couldn’t wait to have it for lunch the next day. My husband was a little suspicious at first, but he admitted to liking it as well.
It was definitely a success and sure to be a keeper.